Welcome to Polar Star Lodge 5-472, Aurora, Illinois - Sons of Norway!
General information including lodge news, current newsletter, and upcoming events is provided below. Click on the navigation links above for additional information.
This information is for official Sons of Norway business use only. Use of this information for solicitation or commercial purposes
In celebration Sons of Norway's 125th anniversary, Polar Star is participating in a Virtual Walk from our meeting site in Montgomery IL to Minneapolis MN (401 miles), and then on to Hamar Norway, location of the 2020 International Convention (3984 additional miles), for a grand total of 4385 miles. You can count all kinds of activity such as walking, biking, swimming, and even miles tracked on your smart phone! If you have any record of your activities, you can count it back to November 1st.
NEW: Since the August International SOFN Conference in August has been postponed due to the COVID virus, keep moving with a new challenge! The deadline is now December 15th for our virtual walk. We already reached the miles to Norway, but now we need to walk, bike or swim our way BACK HOME to our Polar Star Lodge by way of Minneapolis! Keep turning in your monthly miles to Jerri Lynn!
Contact Sports Director Jeri Lynn Baker for additional information.
Polar Star members as of
ALL POLAR STAR Events for May, June and July 2020 have been CANCELLED due to the Covid-19 Stay at Home Order. The remainder of our year depends on the virus. We will keep you posted.
June 6, 2020 - Saturday
- Program: Norway Museum Open House
- Norsk Museum, 3656 E. 2631 Road, Norway Illinois
- Time TBD
- Hosts: All Members
July 13, 15, and
17, 2019 - CANCELLED
- How to Be a Viking (language, cooking, games, stories, music)
- Yorkville Public Library, 10:00 to Noon
- Contact Barb Johnson to volunteer or for information.
August 2, 2020 - Saturday
- Program: Viking ship Raingutter Regatta
- 1:30 Pot Luck Luncheon
- Polar Star Monthly Meeting
- Kitchen Hosts: TBD
September 13, 2019 - Sunday - CANCELLED
- Program: Annual Scandinavian Festival.
- Vasa Park in South Elgin, 10 am - 6 pm.
- Set-up 9 am.
- Program: Scandinavian Festival Waffle Making; Polar Star Bakery and Flea Market booth.
- All Members: Start baking (and freezing) your favorite Norwegian baked goods to sell in our booth, and look for Norwegian collectibles at garage sales to re-sell in our "Loppemarked" (flea market). We will be baking Norwegian Vaffler with Lingonberries on site, as well as selling pre-packaged baked goods and Norwegian knit items and collectibles.
- Contact Nancy Andersen with volunteer shift and baked goods.
Sons of Norway:
The mission of Sons of Norway is to promote and preserve the heritage and culture of Norway, and to provide insurance and financial products to its members.